When do you think of tequila, do you think of wild college parties, body shots, and Tijuana? Me too.* And I’ve never really thought of using tequila for much else besides the occasional margarita. But this Mexican take on the mojito has gotten me rethinking tequila’s versatility.
Refreshing, light and citrusy, I can’t think of a better drink for a summer Mexican fiesta. Everybody does margaritas. Been there, done that. This one is a nice change of pace. Just don’t skimp in the mint- three sprigs sounds like a lot, but it makes it go down real nice. You might even like it better than the original Cuban version…
* Mom, don’t worry. I’ve never done a body shot and the only time I went to Tijuana was on our family trip to San Diego when I was like eight years old.
Yield: 1 serving
* 3 sprigs of mint
* 1/2 lime, cut into three wedges
* 2-3 teaspoons sugar, depending on how sweet you like your drink
* 1 1/2 ounces white tequila
* handful of ice
* 1/2 cup sparkling water or seltzer water
* slice lime and mint leaves for garnish (optional)
In a glass, muddle the mint, lime wedges and sugar (I use a wooden spoon). Add the tequila and stir to mix and dissolve the sugar. Add ice and then the sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime and mint leaves, if desired.