Well, I am not going to make spam, but fortunately I have found that it is really easy to make my own versions of spice mixes and just keep them in simple mason jars for storage. So let’s start with my favorite of all the spice mixes: ranch dressing.
I have already shared my recipe for probiotic homemade ranch dressing, which is amazing. I mean, you can’t go wrong with fresh herbs! But I think that having some dry ranch dressing mix on hand is very useful, especially when you want to whip up a simpler version of classic Ranch dressing, or you just want to make a sour cream dip for chips or pita bread!
- measuring cups and spoons
- quart-sized mason jar with storage lid
Ranch Dressing Herb Mix
1 cup dried parsley
3 tablespoons dried dill
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
1 1/2 tablespoons pepper
(buy spices and peppercorns here)
Note: You’ll notice I don’t add salt. That is because I think it’s best to add the salt after you make the dressing or dip that you are using and then season with salt to taste. Find unrefined sea salts here.
- Put all the ingredients in a pint mason jar, shaking to combine.
- To make Ranch dressing: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 1 cup mayonnaiseand 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream. Find buttermilk and sour cream cultures here.
- To make Ranch-flavored dip: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 2 cups sour cream. Mix up a few hours before serving, so the flavors all blend.