* 2 cups brown basmati or jasmine rice
* 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 cardamom pods, slightly smashed
* 3 whole cloves
* 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
* 1 sprig curry leaves, about 12-15 leaves
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
* lower white part of lemongrass stalk, bruised and cut into two pieces
* 1 cup packed, chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems, plus extra leaves for garnish (optional)
* 2 2/3 cups vegetable or chicken broth or stock
* 1 teaspoon salt
Put the rice in a fine sieve and rinse under cool water. Place the rice in a bowl cover generously with cold water and let cook for 30 minutes. Drain.
Heat the oil in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Stir quickly and then immediately add the curry leaves, garlic, finger, and lemongrass. Cook, stirring often, for one minute.
Add the drained rice and the cilantro, and stir to coat in the oil and spices. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another minute. Add the broth and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for twenty to twenty-five minutes, or until all of the broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for another five minutes. Fluff with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.