I am not a big alcohol drinker but there are a few alcoholic beverages that I could enjoy without ever getting tired of them. One of these beverages is Irish cream. I especially love it in the summer, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
It’s the perfect dairy-based cocktail with rich flavors coming from the grass-fed cream and a smoky Irish whiskey. It can be drunk as it is or used as a base for another cocktail so your mixologist side can get creative! Like I said, it tastes wonderfully when served with ice cream but I also enjoy using it as a creamer for my coffee.
I also use some of my homemade sweetened condensed milk to enhance the flavors even more. As you might have noticed, I use that milk in a lot of different recipes. It’s super versatile and works for more than just desserts – you will see that for yourself in just a moment!
- measuring cups
- a glass mixing bowl
- a whisk
- a glass container, preferably dark colored, to store the Irish cream in (can be either a jar or a bottle)
- 2 cups of homemade sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups of Irish whiskey
- 1 1/2 cup of grass-fed heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 T. of homemade chocolate syrup
- 2 T. of brewed coffee (strong!)
- 1 T. of vanilla extract
- optional: 1t. of almond extract OR almond liqueur
- Whisk the egg yolks thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, chocolate syrup, coffee, and the vanilla (and optionally almond) extract. Keep whisking until combined.
- Pour in the whiskey and combine again.
- Your Irish cream is ready! Transfer it to your glass container(s). Screw the lid on tightly.
This Irish cream should be kept in the fridge and used within a few weeks.