As much as I love sweet breakfasts (wholegrain waffles with raw honey and season fruit, anyone?), there are times when I need to start my day with a rich and savory meal. Having one of these cheddar bacon scones with a cup of black coffee kicks my motivation into overdrive so that I am ready for a full day of work.
The perfect combination of salty bacon and cheddar cheese together with just a bit of coconut sugar meshes wonderfully together in the crumbly scone pie. They are perfect not only for breakfast but also as a savory snack in the afternoon or a lunch you can bring with you to work. I usually bake around 12 of these scones at one time and then eat them throughout the following week. Thanks to this I don’t have to waste time in the morning to make myself breakfast. I just brew some coffee, pop two scones in the oven to warm them up, and I’m ready to go!
I think hot food for breakfasts is the key to good metabolism. If you read the acclaimed Eat For Heat book then you know what I’m talking about. The gist is that eating warm foods raises our body temperature which in turn has a positive effect on, among many, blood circulation, stress levels, and better sleep. So for example, if you often find your feet and hands cold then try warming yourself up with hot food. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- a food processor
- a large mixing bowl
- a rubber scraper
- a glass pie plate
- a jelly roll pan
- parchment paper
- 2 cups of freshly ground whole grain flour OR sprouted flour (I recommend using a light variety if possible)
- 2 T. of baking powder
- 1 t. of sea salt
- 3 T. of coconut sugar
- 5 T. of unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1 – 1,5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of cooked bacon cubes (about 6 pieces)
- 1 ¼ cups of heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut sugar into a food processor a pulse together until combined.
- Add in the butter pieces and pulse about 10 more times so that the butter pieces become very tiny.
- Add in the cheese and bacon and again, pulse twice so that they combine well with the mixture. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the heavy cream over the mixture and stir gently with a rubber scraper to combine. It should gradually turn into a dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured countertop and lightly shape it with your hands into a roll.
- Use a knife or a pastry scraper to cut the dough into 8 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Place the wedges onto the parchment-lined pan. Remember to leave ample space between each wedge.
- Bake the scones for 11 to 14 minutes, or until the tops become nicely browned.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before eating. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Enjoy these delicious savory cheddar bacon scones!