The idea for this recipe came from the free samples of hummus I received from Sabra Hummus. They invited me to take part in the contest they are organizing for the best recipe using their product. And I just want to mention as a disclosure, I was not paid for doing this, I am posting this recipe so that I can enter the Sabra Hummus contest.
Sabra carries a lot of different types of hummus but the one I love the most is definitely the Pine Nut. It adds a hint of earthy nuttiness to this creamy asparagus risotto.
Hummus is most often associated with being used as a vegetable dip or a sandwich spread. But it has so many more uses than that! And since today is National Hummus Day, we need to celebrate that accordingly. The other day I posted an easy recipe for Zucchini Rollatini that also uses hummus but the risotto I want to show you today is a bit more filling and can serve as a well-balanced meal that will be perfect for dinner. It can even be served cold which is perfect for any summer party!
So how is this recipe different from your typical creamy risotto? For starters, it’s better for your health. Most cream risottos contain a lot of butter, cream, and cheese that give it that unique soft texture. But the high fat content usually means trouble for the digestive tract. And there is almost no protein or fiber to counter-balance that.
So what I do is ditch the typical arborio rice that’s usually used in risottos and replace that with carnaroli rice (the so-called „king” of risotto rice in Italy!). It takes a little longer to cook but is more resistant to starch. And to provide the creaminess, I use the Sabra hummus which eliminates the problem of high fat content. Generous amounts of asparagus and peas make up for the lacking fiber and make it easy to digest the meal without trouble.
This risotto can be served as stand-alone meal or in smaller portions as a side menu during a party. It tastes great both hot and cold so it can be prepared beforehand if you are busy making other dishes for a party and then just taken out of the fridge to be served immediately.
Creamy Hummus Asparagus Risotto
- a sauté pan
- a rubber or wooden scraper
- a frying pan
8 to 12 servings (as a side dish)
- 1 cup of carnaroli OR arborio rice
- 1 quart of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3/4 container of Sabra Pine Nut hummus
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas
- 1 lb of cut asparagus stems
- half of an onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. of butter (can be vegan)
- 2 t. of lemon juice
- 1 t. of oil
- black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic until they turn translucent.
- Add the rice and stir with a scraper so that all the ingredients are well incorporated. Keep stirring to prevent the rice from burning.
- Pour half a cup of vegetable broth and lemon juice into the pan. Stir to combine.
- Wait for all the liquid to become absorbed and reduce the heat to slightly below the medium setting.
- Add another cup of the broth and keep stirring while waiting for it to be absorbed.
- Repeat the same with the remaining broth.
- In the meantime, heat a teaspoon of oil in another frying pan.
- Add the asparagus and peas to the pan. Stir to lightly fry and season with black pepper. Cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes before removing the pan from the stove.
- Once all of the broth has been absorbed and the rice has been cooked, remove the sauté pan from the stove.
- Add the hummus and 1/4 cup of water to the sauté pan. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Mix the lightly fried vegetables with the risotto mixture.
- Serve while still hot or let cool first and serve then.