This Healthy Traditional Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies recipe is an excellent idea for a dessert you can try. They are made of healthy ingredients and a minimal amount of fat. The best part is that they are delicious. And when I say delicious, I’m not exaggerating at all. They are soft, tasty and if you don’t know that they are the healthy version, you won’t even realize it. They are excellent for breakfast or a snack and especially for the little ones.
For these oatmeal chocolate cookies, I used wholemeal flour and sugar-free oatmeal. For a gluten-free version, you can use gluten-free flour and oatmeal. You can also use white flour, rye flour, or any other flour you want. I used a minimal amount of butter, but you can replace it with coconut oil or any other oil you like.
As a sweetener, I used brown sugar, but you can use any other sweetener you want. You can also use maple syrup, agave syrup, or even honey. But if you choose a liquid sweetener, you may have to give up the milk in the recipe.
These cookies with chocolate are much better and healthier than anything else you can find in stores.
Lately, we are all on the run, always busy, leaving very little time for us. Unfortunately, work, traffic, unplanned events eat up most of our time, which is why we have to adapt our household activities, reduce cooking times, cleaning, etc. These oatmeal cookies appeared in my life precisely for the reasons listed above. The base is the same, oatmeal, the rest of the ingredients changing with my cravings. We can make them with cranberries, raisins, nuts, almonds, whatever you have on hand, or whatever your heart desires.
Let’s see what it’s all about!
Healthy Traditional Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
- a baking pan
- parchment paper
- a large mixing bowl
- a hand mixer
- a medium mixing bowl
- a whisk
- an ice cream spoon
18 to 20 cookies
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 1 medium egg
- 1 yolk
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons of dry cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Use a hand mixer to mix brown sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix until you get a fluffy mixture.
- Add in the egg, yolk, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until combined.
- Add in the chopped almonds and milk. Keep mixing until well combined.
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, quick oats, cinnamon powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk them together.
- Carefully incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Use the hand mixer and mix until combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon to transfer the batter onto the prepared pan with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
Once completely cold, these oatmeal cookies will become crispy. They can be stored in a tightly-closed container for one week (a metal box or a jar with a tight lid).
The superb taste and crunchy texture make these cookies one of the most inspired choices for a healthy and quick snack! Enjoy!