How about a smoothie to recover lost energy after a heavy workout? I love getting my nutrients in liquid form post-exercise because they go through the throat easily and I don’t need to make any chewing effort. Smoothies are truly a great invention!
I originally made this after a surprisingly tiring workout. I was supposed to make a salad out of some purple and green lettuce we had leftover at home but the thought of holding a knife and cutting greens right after a workout made me feel extra exhausted. So I took out my handy blender, put the lettuce in together with almond milk and some frozen blueberries I had in the fridge to make a very basic smoothie. Since then, I have perfected this recipe and the result is this unique-looking purple energy smoothie.
It’s also great for sneaking in some vegetables into your food if you have picky children at home. Disguising some less-liked ingredients in a delicious mix of milk, yogurt, and frozen fruit is a great way of getting your kids to eat all of their vegetable and fruit servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (when made with almond milk):
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate: 35 g
- Sugar: 20 g (all from fruit, none added)
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: .5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 195 mg 13 % Potassium: 330 mg 7 %
- Vitamin A: 17% Riboflavin: 39 % Niacin: 20 %
- Vitamin B6: 21 % Vitamin B12: 125%
- Vitamin C: 89 % Vitamin D: 30%
- Calcium: 48 % Iron: 32 % Zinc: 11 %
- Magnesium: 4 %
The percentage sign refers to the daily recommended value. This value may be higher for you if you are an athlete or have a particular nutritional deficiency.
Purple Energy Smoothie
- any kind of blender
- 1 cup of unsweetened milk
- 1 cup of natural plain yogurt OR Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of your preferred spring mix
- 1/2 cup of frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup of frozen peaches OR mango
- 1/2 cup of frozen wild blueberries
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 t. of vanilla extract
- extra milk or water if needed to blend properly
- optional: 1 T. of chia seeds OR hemp seeds
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend the fruit first, then add the yogurt and protein powder, greens, and finish with milk or whatever liquid you are using. Pulse until the smoothie reaches your desired consistency.