Practical Farmers of Iowa, in cooperation with University of Northern Iowa?s Center for Energy & Environmental Education, is organizing a Buy Fresh, Buy Local campaign.
Buy Local Campaign Mission:
- Make it easier for residents of Black Hawk County and surrounding counties to find locally grown fruits, vegetables, meats & poultry, eggs, honey, and other agricultural products.
- Encourage residents of our region to support our local treasures: farmers markets, family farms & orchards, local meat lockers, & businesses that serve or sell locally grown products.
- Stimulate the economic vitality of the Northeast Iowa region through strengthening the viability of independent farmers and businesses.
About the Campaign Partners
Practical Farmers of Iowa (PFI) is a statewide, non-profit organization with over 600 farmers and non-farmer members. Since 1985 PFI has been devoted to researching and developing more profitable, ecological and community enhancing approaches to agriculture.
The Center for Energy & Environmental Education at University of Northern Iowa implements community-based initiatives promoting energy conservation, ecological alternatives to lawn pesticides, and local food systems that strengthen family farms and the local economy. Learn more by visiting www.uni.edu/ceee.
Did You Know?
- The ?Buy Fresh, Buy Local? label, it identifies locally grown products in grocery stores and restaurants near you.
- ?Get Yourself a Farmer,? a directory for finding locally grown food including: farmers markets, meat lockers, u-pick operations, as well as farms and businesses who sell locally grown products directly to consumers.
It’s easy to find local food when you:
- Use the ?Get Yourself a Farmer? directory to find a farmer, farmers market, orchard, meat locker, or local food outlet near you.
- Encourage your local grocery stores and restaurants to purchase more products from local farmers.
Join the Campaign
- Use the ?Get Yourself a Farmer? directory to buy fruits, vegetables, meats, and dairy products raised on local farms.
- Visit nearby farmers markets and u-pick operations.
- Support grocery stores and restaurants featuring local products. Encourage these local businesses to buy local.
- Also support the campaign by joining Practical Farmers of Iowa.
Farmers, Processors, Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Institutions Can Join the Campaign and Receive These Benefits:
- A free listing in the ?Get Yourself a Farmer? directory
- ?Buy Fresh, Buy Local? marketing materials
- Use the “Buy Fresh, Buy Local” label in your promotional materials
- A complimentary membership with Practical Farmers of Iowa
For information about the campaign, contact: