I have never eaten such a delicate pie. This flaky French silk pie crust melts in your mouth when combined with smooth whipped chocolate filling. The French really do know how to make the best desserts. Each bite takes you closer to the paradise.
This pie is not that hard to make, even though it might not look that way. It does take some time but I promise it’s not difficult! Which is why it’s perfect for fancy dinner parties or when you simply want to make something that is not only delicious but also looks elegant. It doesn’t need baking so it’s also perfect for the summer.
I usually serve it with a swirl of sweetened whipped cream on top and a glass of raw milk. There’s something posh and graceful about eating a fancy pie with a wine glass of delicious milk!
The recipe consists of three separate parts: the pie crust, the pie itself, and the sweetened whipped cream.
- a large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- a wooden spoon
- a rolling pin
- a sharp knife
- a pie plate
- a cooling rack
- a large saucepan
- a kitchen scale
- a large glass bowl
- a whisk
- a rubber scraper
- a hand mixer OR a stand mixer
Yogurt Pie Crust
- 1 cup of natural yogurt
- 1 cup of softened grass-fed butter (about 2 sticks) (how to make butter)
- 3 1/2 cups of freshly ground flour (how to prepare grains)
- 1 t. of sea salt
- Combine yogurt and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour and sea salt. Use a wooden spoon to start mixing the ingredients together until they clump.
- Use your hands to further prepare the dough. Knead until its surface is smooth.
- Leave the dough overnight in a warm place (for example, an oven with a light turned on or a dehydrator). Cover the mixing bowl with a towel to further stimulate growth and keep any dirt out.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle some sprouted flour on the counter and place the dough on it. Knead it well one more time and use a rolling pin to flatten it to the desired thickness and round shape.
- Place the dough onto a pie plate. Trim the edges so that the dough fits perfectly.
- Use a fork to make a pattern on the edges and make the dough stick to the plate.
- Cover the dough twice with aluminum foil. Use something to weigh it down and keep the foil in place. Place the pie plate in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 6 minutes or until it browns slightly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
Chocolate French Silk Pie
- Yogurt pie crust from recipe above
- 1 cup and 3 T. of raw cream
- 1/3 cup of grass-fed butter
- 3/4 cup of whole cane sugar
- 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate (about 1 cup)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 T. of brewed coffee
- 1 t. of vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream (recipe below)
- Put the 1 cup of cream, butter, whole cane sugar, and chocolate in a saucepan and heat together over medium heat until all the ingredients melt. It should take about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use a large glass bowl and fill it with ice water. This will be your ice water bath for later. Set the ice water bath aside for now.
- Put the egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl and whisk them well.
- Slowly pour half of the chocolate mixture from the saucepan into the egg yolks. Do it in a thin stream while constantly stirring so that the egg yolks won’t cook from the heat of the chocolate mixture.
- Scrape that egg yolk and chocolate mixture with a rubber scraper back into the saucepan and the remaining chocolate filling.
- Heat the new mixture over low heat while constantly stirring.
- After about 5 minutes, the mixture should thicken start bubbling. Remove from heat immediately.
- Now you will need to put that chocolate filling in your ice bath bowl. If your saucepan can fit in there, use it as it is. If you need to, transfer that sauce from the saucepan into another bowl (that will fit into the ice bath bowl without overflowing).
- Set the chocolate mixture bowl in the ice water bath. Add the remaining ingredients (3 tablespoons of cream, coffee, and vanilla extract) and stir until combined.
- Leave the chocolate to cool in the ice water bath for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent clumps.
- Remove the chocolate filling and use beat with a mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes so that it turns fluffy and becomes a lighter color.
- Use a rubber scraper to transfer the chocolate filling onto the cooled yogurt pie crust evenly.
- Spread the sweetened whipped cream on top and cool in the fridge for about two hours before serving.
Sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- 1/3 cup of whole cane sugar
- 1/2 t. of vanilla extract
- Use a mixer with whisk beaters attached to whip your batch of fresh cream. Do it on low speed setting first until you can see some bubbles.
- Increase the speed and whip until the cream thickens nicely. Be careful not to over whip.
- Add the whole cane sugar and the vanilla extract. Slowly beat until the cream fully combines.
- The whipped cream is now ready. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.