In this non-traditional recipe, coleslaw’s nutritional value gets a major upgrade. A colorful blend of red and green cabbage, orange carrots and green cilantro gets marinated in a simple lemon, miso, ginger and tamari dressing. Stevia, which has become my best friend over the past couple weeks, is added to achieve your desired level of sweetness.
Give it a shot at your next picnic, barbecue, or Asian-themed meal. You might never go back to the mayonnaise-doused version ever again.
Asian Slaw with Miso Dressing
* 1/2 head of a large cabbage, finely shredded (green, red, or a combination of the two)
* 1 cup grated carrots
* 1/4 cup water
* 2 Tablespoons white miso
* 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
* 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 1/2 Tablespoons gluten-free tamari, or Braggs liquid aminos
* 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
* 8-10 drops stevia or to taste (or substitute sugar to taste)
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
In a large bowl combine the water, miso, ginger, lemon juice, tamari, apple cider vinegar, and stevia. Stir in the cabbage, carrots and cilantro and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours.