* 3-4 large Japanese eggplants
*1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
* 6 cloves garlic, smashed and then minced
* 1 red chile pepper, minced (I used a Jalapeno)
* 3/4 pound ground pork
* 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
* 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
* 1 Tablespoon palm sugar (can substitute regular brown or white sugar)
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 3/4 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
* the leaves of 2 scallions bulbs, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 4 lime wedges
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prick the eggplant with a fork (this will prevent eggplant from exploding), place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 40 minutes, turning the eggplant halfway through cooking time. The eggplant should be soft and the skin should have turned to a medium to dark brown. Let cool slightly and then peel away the flesh and chop into bite size pieces. Discard the skin.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook until browned. Add the pork, fish sauce, oyster sauce, palm sugar, black pepper ans cook until the pork is no longer pink. Add the shrimp and cook until cooked through. Add the eggplant chunks and continue cook until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the scallions and the cilantro.
Place in individual bowls and garnish with a lime wedge.