Today I want to show you how to make cupcakes that are low in carbs and full of fiber. The base is garbanzo bean flour (chickpea flour) so the cupcakes don’t feel heavy on the stomach at all. They can be enjoyed without regrets and customized to your liking by using different toppings and frostings. Below, you will also find a recipe for healthy white frosting that can be topped with fresh blueberries and strawberries to create a delicious red, white, and blue dessert.
Garbanzo Bean Cupcakes
- a cupcake tin
- a medium mixing bowl
- a large mixing bowl
- a whisk
- a hand mixer
- a cooling rack
- a rubber spatula
- 1 1/2 cup of garbanzo bean flour
- 2 large eggs OR 2 flax eggs (2 T. of ground flax seeds mixed with 5 T. of filtered water)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 2 T. of coconut oil
- 2 T. of raw honey OR organic maple syrup
- 1 T. of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 t. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. of baking soda
- 1/4 t. of sea salt
- 1 stick of grass-fed butter OR vegan butter at room temperature
- 3 cups of confectioners sugar (organic)
- 1 T. of milk OR non-dairy milk
- 1/2 T. of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup of fresh strawberries
- 4 T. of hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool.
- Prepare a cupcake tin by spraying it with cooking spray or light greasing with coconut oil or any other fat.
- Whisk the garbanzo bean flour with baking soda and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, mashed bananas, honey/maple syrup, applesauce, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix only until combined.
- Slowly stir in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake tin. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the center is set (check with a wooden toothpick or a tester).
- In the meantime, beat the butter with sugar (add one cup at a time) using a hand mixer until fully combined.
- Add in one tablespoon of milk and vanilla extract. Beat until the mixture turns fluffy. Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and leave on the cooling rack for 10 minutes. After that, take the cupcakes out of the tin and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cover each cupcake with the white frosting and top with blueberries and sliced strawberries. Sprinkle hemp seeds on top.