Do you also love strawberries? I sure do! Whenever strawberries are in season, I buy more of them than I could possibly eat on my own but I never regret that. It gives me a chance to try out new strawberry recipes! And if I really don’t have the time to cook them all, I can always freeze a few batches and enjoy them later, when the strawberry season has passed.
This time, I decided to combine the strawberries with oats and chocolate to make some nutritious bars that would be great as a pre-workout snack. These bars have plenty of healthy carbohydrates that will give you an energy boost while also containing some protein, fat, and fiber. I recommend you eat one in the two hours before your planned workout. One bar will prevent hunger but won’t make you feel extra full and weigh you down as you exercise. You can freeze a batch and just reheat each bar whenever you need it.
I initially made this recipe because I was thinking about how to get my husband to eat more oats. He doesn’t like oatmeal so I feel like he’s missing out on all the nutritional benefits of the oats. Fortunately, he loved these chocolate oat bars! It’s good to eat a variety of different grains and oats definitely belong in that category.
The recipe is real simple too! You just mix the oats, the chopped strawberries, and the chocolate chunks on a pan, spread them evenly, and pour the batter on top. Smooth everything down and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. You will have a beautiful pan of chocolate strawberry oat bars that can be sliced into any sized pieces and enjoyed whenever you need a delicious energy boost. As delicious and healthy as they are, I don’t recommend eating the whole pan at once though!
Choco Strawberry Oat Bars
- a medium baking dish (8×8 or 9×9)
- a medium mixing bowl
- a whisk
- a large mixing bowl
- a small mixing bowl
- a rubber spatula
- 1 1/2 cup of rolled oats OR quick oats
- 1 1/4 cup of oat flour
- 2 cups of chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup of chopped dark chocolate (preferably at least 70% cocoa)
- 1 cup of grass-fed milk OR any vegetarian/vegan milk
- 1/4 cup of ground chia seeds OR milled flaxseed
- 1 large egg
- 6 T. of organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 t. of corn starch
- 2 t. of vanilla extract
- 1 T. of orange juice OR lemon juice
- 1/2 t. of baking powder
- 1/2 t. of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the baking dish with cooking spray or butter it up on all sides.
- Combine the oats, oat flour, chia seeds (or milled flaxseed), baking powder, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold them in carefully. Mix only until combined.
- Combine the chopped strawberries with lemon or orange juice and corn starch in a small bowl. Make sure the strawberries are well coated.
- Pour half of the oat batter into the baking dish, making it an even layer.
- Spread the strawberries onto the batter evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped chocolate pieces on top.
- Pour the remaining half of the oat batter on top of the chocolate. Smooth it down using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You will know the bars are done when they turn slightly golden.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice into bar-shaped pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within five days. Alternatively, freeze the bars and warm them up in the microwave when needed.
Comment below with your favorite strawberry recipes!