Today I’m going to share with you my tested recipe for a grain-free absolutely delicious pecan pie! It’s full of rich butter, the sweetness of maple syrup, and the intoxicating fragrance of the crumbling coconut flour crust. It’s not the healthiest meal in the world but it definitely uses more organic and healthy ingredients than a traditional pecan pie. And it’s grain-free so it’s easier to digest for your stomach. It’s a perfect recipe for those with grain or wheat allergies!
To make this recipe taste as well as intended you need to remember about the three important steps: 1. use maple syrup instead of that filthy and unhealthy corn syrup, 2. toast the pecan nuts beforehand, and 3. add a little bourbon as a bit of indulgence and to bring out that delicious flavors. Believe me, once you take your first bite you won’t be able to stop. The pecan pie tastes of vanilla, molasses, and caramel – it’s a really addictive combination!
- a food processor
- measuring cups
- a whisk
- a rolling pin
- a rubber scraper
- a pastry brush
- a large saucepan
- a large mixing bowl
- a pie plate
- a jelly roll pan
- 1 cup of coconut flour
- 6 T. of cold butter
- 2 fresh eggs
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- 1 t. of organic honey
- ¼ t. of sea salt
- water (as needed)
- egg white for brushing
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1 cup of whole cane sugar
- 1 ½ cups of toasted and chopped pecans
- 1 T. of butter
- 1 T. of molasses
- 1 T. of good bourbon
- ½ t. of salt
- 1 t. of vanilla extract
- Use a food processor to combine cold butter and coconut flour together until you can see small pea-sized crumbs.
- Add the eggs, honey, shredded coconut, and sea salt. Pulse until the dough is formed. Add small amounts of water if needed.
- Spread almond flour on the counter and roll the dough with a rolling pin until it’s even at all places.
- Place the dough onto the pie plate and press the edges to make it stick.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Layer the toasted pecans over the pie dough.
- Pour the maple syrup, sugar, heavy cream, and molasses into a large saucepan. Heat over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a large mixing bowl to whisk the butter (cut into small cubes) and salt together.
- Once the butter is melted, add the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and bourbon.
- Pour the mixture over the layer of toasted pecans.
- Place the pie plate on a jelly roll pan and bake on the lower oven rack. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees as soon as you close the oven door.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or check until the middle looks done (it should be almost completely set and jiggle only a little bit).
- Cool for at least 1 hour or until it reaches room temperature.
- Put the pecan pie in the fridge so that it sets completely. Keep it there for at least 3 hours or even better, overnight.
- Serve at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream on top.
Enjoy this healthy and (almost) grain-free version of a pecan pie!